The Institute of Technical Mechanics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the State Space Agency of Ukraine (ITM NASU and SSAU) is the research institution composed of the Mechanics division of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, leading institute of the Ukrainian aerospace sector.
At present, fundamental and applied research are conducted at the institute. Those involve:
- The dynamics of mechanical and hydromechanical systems, of launch vehicle systems, and of rail and motor transport;
- The aero-thermo and gas dynamics of power plants and flying and space vehicles and their subsystems;
- The strength, reliability, and optimization of mechanical systems, launch vehicles, and spacecraft;
- The mechanics of interaction of a solid with ionized media and electromagnetic radiation;
- The systems analysis of trends and prospects in space engineering.